Friday 21 May 2010

Happy Birthday, Empire Strikes Back!

CAUTION: Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.


Today, 21st May 2010, marks the 30th Anniversary, nay Birthday of Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.

Happy birthday, Empire, I made you this:



Oh, and while I was on, I made you this as well:


30 years since we learned the coolest response to "I love you" is "...I know". 30 years since we learned who Luke Skywalker's dad is! 30 whole years since we were introduced to the wisest being in the galaxy (Yoda), and also to the smoothest: Mr. Lando Calrissian.

Y'see for most people, tESB instantly evokes images of the battle of Hoth. For me, it's all about Bespin. I love Cloud City. That's largely down to the 2002 Lucasarts game, Jedi Outcast, which featured a multi-player map of Bespin (amongst others, obviously), which I'm still not tired of playing.



Anyhow, there we go. The artwork was hand drawn in CorelX5. The GTA-style one has been an ongoing project for a few weeks (w.i.p. snapshots in my facebook gallery), and has taken more time than I'd like to think about. The Art Deco-style piece was a spinoff of the Lando portrait, and took about an hour, from start to finish.

If you've read this blog before, you know how much I love Star Wars, and I'm pretty sure you don't need me to explain why Empire's a modern masterpiece.

Happy birthday, Empire. It's been a great ride, and it's not over yet!



DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.

• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organizations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment