Tuesday 17 September 2013

Review: Rush (second-pass)

World of Blackout Film Review

Rush Poster

Rush (second-pass)
Cert: 15 / 123 mins / Dir. Ron Howard



There 's not really much to add from last time, I'm afraid. Re-watching a film gives me the chance to take my foot off the plot-pedal*1 and have a look around at the scenery, but I'm not an F1 buff, so I couldn't geek out on all the race detail, and while I was alive in the timeframe of the movie, I was a little too young to fully appreciate the nostalgia it offers.

So instead, all I could do was marvel*2 at how solidly the story is told; to the point where I was still gripped for the entire movie, even knowing how it ends. This really is quite a remarkable film, about remarkable people. It doesn't make want to start watching F1, but I'm not convinced it's meant to. If you only go to the cinema once this year, go for this.

Oh, and thanks to the two gentlemen some seats away over to my left who thought it was acceptable to start having a conversation in the middle of the film. Not whispering, actually talking. Not kids, distracted or bored with what they were seeing, actual adult males in their fifties, talking about the film. During the film. I didn't go over and punch them, but only because they'd then have started making even more noise. Unbelievable.


Is the trailer representative of the film?
It is.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
I did.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
It does.


Pay at the cinema, Rent on DVD or just wait for it to be on the telly?
Go to the cinema to see this at the earliest opportunity.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
I probably will, yes.


Will I watch it again?
I will.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
There isn't.


And because you won't be happy until I've given it a score...


*1 No driving-based pun intended, I assure you.
*2 And that's not an oblique Thor pun, either.

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment