Wednesday 11 November 2015

Review: Annie Hall

I can't believe I haven't seen…

Annie Hall Poster

Annie Hall (1977)
Cert: 15 / 89 mins / Dir. Woody Allen / Trailer
WoB Rating: 5/7


Now I'm in choppy waters. Woody Allen is almost a genre in himself, and one I'm nowhere near familiar enough with to call myself a film-geek. I relate to Allen's neuroses so much I know I need to do a concentrated season of his work (but that's a programme for another time). Now obviously, Woody Allen does his 'one film a year' thing (a feat which I'm in awe of, irrespective of how much I enjoy or gripe about his films), and obviously I've only seen a small percentage of those works. What this means is that I watched Annie Hall in isolation, and while even I know that it's Allen at his self-analysing best, I don't know how it fits into his other movies around that time.

Anyhow, I enjoyed Annie Hall very much; it's rarely laugh-out-loud funny, but I smirked throughout. Although it often seems that the writing itself is a lot better than the directing and the acting (even if Allen and Diane Keaton are magnificent). At times it almost feels as if the screenplay is ahead of its time and is just waiting for film-making to catch up and do it justice. For a film of the seventies it's incredibly meta, but the production makes things a little disjointed, and for the entire runtime I felt like I was waiting for it to slow down and start properly.
That's probably the point though, right? Let me know in the comments.

Although as fine as Annie Hall is, it's a conceited film which has a greatest-hits reel of itself in its own final moments, Woody Allen or otherwise…



Have you really never seen this before?
No, to be honest I've been a bit preoccupied with the other film from 1977…


So are you glad you've finally have?
I am.


And would you recommend it, now?
I would, in a Sunday-night, bottle-of-wine sort of a way.


Oh, and is there a Wilhelm Scream in it?
There isn't.


…but what's the Star Wars connection?
Annie Hall features a cameo appearance from Christopher Walken, who starred in Pulp Fiction along with Sam 'Windu' Jackson.


And if I HAD to put a number on it…




DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment