Thursday 25 April 2013

Review: Iron Man 3 (first-pass)

World of Blackout 77-Word Film Review

Iron Man 3 (3D) Poster

Iron Man 3 (3D) - First-Pass / Spoiler-Free
Cert: 12A / 135 mins / Dir. Shane Black



Midnight show for the win? IM3 wasn't entirely what I was expecting, but I'm still slightly reeling, I think. It isn't the sensory battering ram that Avengers was, but it's not far off.

Shane Black makes a good directorial successor to Favreau and there's a sense, not of moving on, but of evolution for the character. That said, it's still massive, massive fun for fans of the previous entries in the series.

Ben Kingsley: Best. Villain. Ever.



Is the trailer representative of the film?
Almost.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
Definitely.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
For my money, definitely.


Pay at the cinema, Rent on DVD or just wait for it to be on the telly?
Cinema (the 3D's not essential, though).


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
Yeah.


Will I watch it again?
Yes. This week, in fact.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
…no, but there's a sweet Stan Lee cameo and a short scene at the end of all the credits.


And because you won't be happy until I've given it a score...


Note: Yep, short and sweet review, partially due to the fact that I need to see it again before I can pick it apart, and partly due to the fact that it's 3am and I've got to be up for work at 7. The combination of sleep deprivation, caffeine and Iron-Man-adrenaline should make for an interesting meeting at 10am...

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment