Friday 10 May 2013

Double Top

And so. The day is finally here.


It's arrived, creeping with an silent inevitability, assisted by the inexorable passage of time. At times, I thought I wouldn't make it to today; it seemed too far away, a pipe-dream, something that other people do. Would I enjoy it if/when it happened? Would I grin and make the best of it? Or would abandon all pretence and embrace it for what it is; the beginning of a new chapter, where everything I see from this day onward will be tinted a slightly different (and hopefully better) colour?

Today. Is the day I go to see Chas & Dave

Chaster, and indeed, Davros.

After everything that's led up to this point, it seemed I couldn't refuse this time. I was gently persuaded by my BFFF, and a table for ten has been booked. It may get a little messy. Margate, the spiritual home of the eponymous duo, how could I not? Their musical tribute to the town has been a welcome earworm on many an occasion, and I'd be lying if I said I was going to enjoy the show with an ironic sneer on my face (this is, after all, the venue where Jimmy Nail was cemented into my top 5 gigs of all time). Tonight, almost twenty years since I moved to the town*(1), the circle is complete.


Oh, and it's my birthday today as well.
40*(2). How the fuck did that happen?

Anyway, there may be photos in the next few days…


*(1) Yeah, I moved away again after eight of those, but like, shut up.
*2 It was this, above all other factors, that made my decision to see Chas & Dave take about half a second. If everything else wasn't a sign from some higher power that 'now was the time', this one was.

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment