Monday 29 July 2013

Review: The Wolverine (vague spoilers)

World of Blackout Film Review

The Wolverine Poster

The Wolverine (2D / Vague-spoilers. Maybe.)
Cert: 12A / 129 mins / Dir. James Mangold



And here we are, with the sequel to Gavin Hood's much maligned 2009 outing vying for our attention (read: money) in the midst of popcorn season. As it turns out, it's more of a sequel to X3, although there are enough callbacks to the Origins movie to assure us that it hasn't been written out of the continuity.

For the most part, The Wolverine features a cast and characters we haven't had the pleasure of meeting before, and while this is refreshing, it means there's a lot to cram in and anyone who's not a central character is sketched, at best. The story bounds along from scene-to-scene, with a bare minimum of exposition and even less breather time. It seems to me that by having Logan limping around dabbing at his grazes for a large percentage of the film, and by giving him a mystery to solve, a female sidekick and some sardonic verbal comebacks, there's been an attempt to make Wolverine more like Indiana Jones; and six movies down the line is not the time to be attempting that. Although despite the notable lack of blood*1, he at least gets his claws dirty when it matters.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed The Wolverine a great deal, but the unfolding-mystery, nomadic-warrior, and super-hero influences are all pulling in different directions. The film I watched tonight never got any better than "good", even though I wanted to like it more (that said, the fight on the top of the train is absolutely outstanding). Hang around during the first batch of credits for the airport security-scanner scene. After that, you can go because there's nothing at the very end.

At least there don't appear to be any of the internal-continuity issues that the series has suffered from so far*2, and if nothing else it answered one of my questions about the bone-claws.

Some background reading and another viewing required, I think…



Is the trailer representative of the film?
Pretty much.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
Not as much as I'd have liked.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
At this point, I really don't know.


Pay at the cinema, Rent on DVD or just wait for it to be on the telly?
For me, it's a cinema-movie.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
No.


Will I watch it again?
Yes, and soon.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
Not sure. I thought I might have heard it at two separate points.


And because you won't be happy until I've given it a score...


And my question for YOU is…
Since the Xavier/Magneto 'origins' film became First Class, which other X-Men would you like to see given their own movie?



*1 I don't expect a gorefest in a 12A, but it really is a remarkably "clean" film considering all the blades it features.
*2 Although that could be purely because it takes place on the other side of the world with characters we haven't seen before.

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

1 comment:

  1. Popcorn season eh..lol Nice! I thought the film was decent, as Marvel's adding a little more warmth to the hearts of their heroes. Remember that warm and fuzzy feeling you got in Iron Man 3? They went for it, but with Logan's rugged past there's only so far they can go. With all that said, I wouldn't mind seeing Cyclops a bit more, as he seems to hide behind those glasses for just about all of his day. I mean did he come out beamin and blasting from day one? I've never really gotten the jus't on how he acquired his mutation. Care to shed a little insight?

    ReplyDelete