Thursday 7 August 2014

Review: The Inbetweeners 2

World of Blackout Film Review

The Inbetweeners 2 Poster

The Inbetweeners 2
Cert: 15 / 96 mins / Dir. Iain Morris & Damon Beesley
WoB Rating: 6/7



I won't lie, I wasn't expecting particularly great things from the second Inbetweeners Movie, largely because while I enjoyed the first one, I didn't think it was strong enough to warrant an hour and a half and the format was still too televisual for a cinema. While Messrs Morris and Beesley have clearly worked a lot harder on their sequel, there are still hurdles it can't clear (although most of those have been set up by the previous movie and TV episodes), and a scattering of jokes that the wooly liberal in me was hesitant to laugh at. The film is still a mixed bag and won't be for everybody, but within the closed arena of what it's trying to do I've seen little this year which can compete.

Most importantly, The Inbetweeners 2 is funny; more consistently funny than the first outing, and with humour that's not trying quite as hard to be spiteful (second-most importantly, Jay is way less of a dick this time, thankfully). There are a couple of OTT™ moments, of course, but in the context of The Inbetweeners they work very well. We get Will's narration for the entire movie, and although the secondary characters (ie the boys' parents) make fleeting appearances again, they feel far less shoehorned in this time around. But what the film does best is those moments of acute embarrassment, where we cringe not out of pity but recognition. I may not have sang 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' quite like that by a campfire, but I've been that guy. And if you've been that guy*1, The Inbetweeners is for you. Usually, a 15-rated comedy that features willies, poo in the face, wee in the face and poisoned sea-life would feel like it's trying too hard. For Morris and Beesley, it's a successful day at the office*2.

This sequel to a big-screen adaptation of a Channel 4 comedy series aimed at teenagers won't win over new audiences, but that was never its intention. Very funny, very messy and surprisingly touching in places, The Inbetweeners 2 is a fitting sendoff for the characters. Not a sentimental ride into the Australian sunset, just one last splash before they close down the water-park.

For best results, mix with friends and alcohol.



Is the trailer representative of the film?
No, the film's better (and a lot more charming) than the trailer.
Although all those bits are in it
.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
I laughed and cringed, mostly in the right places.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
I think so.


Pay at the cinema, Rent on DVD or just wait for it to be on the telly?
Your choice, really. It'll be just as funny on DVD.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
I won't.


Will I watch it again?
I will, but it'll be on a small screen and with some beer.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
There isn't, but there is a boot shot, and that's almost as good.


And if I HAD to put a number on it…


And my question for YOU is…
I think this is a far more coherent screenplay than the first movie.
But what do I know? Discuss.



*1 Or girl. We all make fucking idiots of ourselves. Although to be fair, the boys tend to do it more spectacularly.
*2 And the sentence before that one should give you a pretty good idea of whether you'll enjoy The Inbetweeners 2, or not.

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment