Tuesday 8 September 2009

35: Me llamo Sr Muerte Pandereta... yo no hablo Inglés

CAUTION: Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. This particular one also includes badly (if at all) researched scientific theories. Reader discretion is advised.


So, yeah. In case you didn't know, I'm part of the BFS Street Team, an online/physical promo-army for Bowling for Soup. We spread the word about how great the band are, have a great community, and in return get exclusive merch/content from the band, opporunities to meet them etc.

So a few weeks back, we got to ask the singer, Jaret, a question about the upcoming album, Sorry for Partyin'. He'd record a video answering a bunch of questions and one would get a prize. Now I've done a couple of web-chats with BFS, and my questions are always Star Wars based (I know, surprising, isn't it?). I've asked them if they could be any SW character which would they be, and if they could have any ship/weapon, which it would be.

The bizarre thing is, they always answer my SW questions. Maybe it's a generational thing, I'm around the same age as the band after all. Or maybe it's just a sign of how fantastic Star Wars is. It's definitely a sign of how fantastic BFS is, that's for sure.

So, back to a few weeks back. I asked two questions. The answers were put online in four parts. By the third part, I was no longer expecting my questions to be answered. Mainly because all of the q's by then had been perfectly valid, sensible questions O_o

My questions:
1) Are there any SW references on the new album, and if not, why not?
Short answer, yes.

2) Did you all try on the Wena suit after the video shoot?
Short answer, no.


So imagine my surprise/disbelief when this video cropped up on day four. My username on the site is Harrington, and I've edited this video down to just the bits relevant to this blog (it's meant to be an exclusive for the BFSarmy after all):



So yeah! The guys were going to send me a signed limited edition hand-screened 15th Anniversary poster, and the Tambourine of Death! The tambourine was found in the trash by Jaret, on the day they were in the studio recording No Hablo Inglés. This was also the day that Michael Jackson died. Were these incidents related? The tambourine may well have caused Jackson to die, then fled and took cover in the garbage. Or it could well be that when a callous studio-tech threw the tambourine into the bin and its jangly beat stopped, poor Michael's heart stopped as well. Like the picture of Dorian Gray, or the Grandfather clock in that old song. We'll never know.

The package arrived from Texas this morning, here's the poster:





And here's the Death Tambourine





By now, you either think this is seriously awesome, or you don't know what all the fuss is. Guess which one I think it is? Nothing else I can say now is going to change your mind, though. :P

So I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Bowling for Soup, their techs, their roadies, and all the people that make the magic happen. You guys rule.


So pretty soon I can take to the streets in my shroud, scythe in one hand, tambourine in the other. Pruning humanity with only the rhythmic tinkle of bells as a warning. Jackson was only the first on my list...

Bwaha-ha-ha-ha-haaah!


Bowling for Soup are playing the UK in October, as part of their Party In Your Pants tour.

BowlingForSoup.com
BFS Army
BFS Myspace
Twitter: BFSRocks, MyWena, P.I.Y.P. Tour



DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.

• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organizations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

1 comment:

  1. blog...is amazing :D lol. seriously. this was so awesome of the guys...

    and im glad i wont be walking around any streets near YOU O_o and that death tambourine... O_O

    -jlluvsjecg52

    ReplyDelete