Sunday 24 October 2010

77: Pumpkin Soup!

CAUTION: Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.


Yeah, Pumpkin Soup, what did you expect me to call this entry?

Well, let's not bury the lead. I've been carving pumpkins:


(Click-for-bigger on any of these pics).


It's for a competition on Bowling For Soup's street-team site.
Now, me being me, I didn't just carve the pumpkins, I documented the whole project as well. So, this is how I did it...

Step 1: Find the pics you want to use
Yeah, if it's all the same with you, I'll skip over the "buy pumpkins" part. You know how to do that already.
So, a quick look through my not-inconsiderable assortment of BFS cuttings and CD pics, and I've found four portrait shots that should look good for a hallow'een project.



Step 2: Prep the outlines
Using CorelDraw (or Illustrator, if you like), Make a nice vector-version of the faces you want on the pumpkins.
Keep in mind, you don't want any "floating" black bits. All of the shadowed/black parts should be joined on to the outside. Obviously, floating white-bits are okay, as they're just holes cut out of the pumpkin.



Step 3: Transfer the outlines to the pumpkin
It's 2010. I'm not going to dick around with tracing paper, or drawing-by-eye. For this bit, I've used a digital laser projector, a couple of fineliners and a scalpel*

*just to lightly score the pumpkins after drawing on them, so that if the ink rubs off, I'm not totally scuppered.

So yeah, simply acquire a projector for an hour or so, shine the image onto the pumpkins, and get drawing.



Step 4: Carve the pumpkins
Okay, I didn't really document this bit that thoroughly, but it's pretty straightforward pumpkin carving (I'd imagine).
When you're done, they'll look like this:



Step 5: Pat self on back
Yeah, I did. What of it? This is the first time I've ever carved pumpkins, so I think they came out pretty well.



Mind you, given how disgusting it is to put your hand into the wet, slimy, cold innards of a pumpkin and pull out the insides, it's probably going to be the last time I carve one, too.

Happy Hallow'een!


DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.

• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organizations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment