Friday 11 January 2013

Review: Gangster Squad

World of Blackout 77-Word Film Review

Gangster Squad Poster

Gangster Squad
Cert: 15 / 113 mins / Dir. Ruben Fleischer



A brooding score, glistening sets and some slick, stylised camerawork stop Gangster Squad feeling too much like a period piece, although Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone look so out of place in 1949 it's amazing.

But despite featuring some of the most clichéd dialogue I've ever heard, I had enormous fun. Engaging characters and sporadic bursts of gleeful violence compensate for the tropes nicely.
Gangster Squad revels in its body-count.



Is the trailer representative of the film?
…ish.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
Yes.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
Yes.


Pay at the cinema, Rent on DVD or just wait for it to be on the telly?
…DVD.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
Yes.


Will I watch it again?
Yes.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
Yes!*1


And because you won't be happy until I've given it a score...


*1 Pretty damned sure I heard one during the jailbreak sequence.

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I loved Gangster Squad because of the plot or because of Ryan Gosling and Josh Brolin

    ReplyDelete