Tuesday 25 June 2013

Review: Despicable Me 2 (3D)

World of Blackout Film Review

Despicable Me 2 (3D) Poster

Despicable Me 2 (3D)
Cert: U / 98 mins / Dir. Pierre Coffin & Chris Renaud



Now I don't want to give the impression that I didn't enjoy this immensely, but I think it's missing the spark that made its predecessor such a great film. Namely, the ability to make me well up in a cinema. And let's be honest, that's happened on more than one occasion; I'm an easy target, theatrically speaking.

The central thread about the Anti-Villain League's mission to recover a secret formula seems a little half-arsed somehow, as does the Gru/Lucy subplot. In fact at its core, Despicable Me 2 feels like it's been cobbled together around some visual-sketches for The Minions to star in. Now these are great gags, but nothing that couldn't have been done with a straight-to-DVD spinoff. I found the film to be very funny a lot of the time, but there was no emotional hook this time around. Gru and his girls are settled, and nothing puts that in jeopardy; the worst that could happen is that he won't get a girlfriend. Erm, okay.

The 3D is nicely rendered and consistently in use, although whether that'll make or break the experience is down to your preference. The voice acting is all solid enough, but it's Miranda Cosgrove, Dana Gaier and Elsie Fisher that shine once more as Steve Carrell's young charges. I just wish we'd spent more time in their company. But if you want slapstick and silliness, plus a shedload of visual references for the older generation, you won't go far wrong.

The audience laughed throughout, but not as much as Universal and Illumination Entertainment's accountancy departments, I suspect.



Is the trailer representative of the film?
Pretty much.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
I laughed a lot.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
I think so.


Pay at the cinema, Rent on DVD or just wait for it to be on the telly?
Cinema / DVD.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
No.


Will I watch it again?
At some point.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
Yes, and in the first three minutes. ACE!


And because you won't be happy until I've given it a score...


And my question for YOU is…
After proving the law of diminishing returns once more (to my mind, at least), should we be feeling nervous about the Wreck-It Ralph sequel?



DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment