Monday 22 July 2013

Review: The World's End (second-pass / SPOILERS)

World of Blackout Film Review

The World's End Poster

The World's End (Second-pass / SPOILERS)
Cert: 15 / 109 mins / Dir. Edgar Wright



I'm happy to report that The World's End is a much easier watch the second time around. I still stand by my original points, and upon a rewatch it seems like the climax of the film, while thoroughly accomplished, has been lifted from another screenplay altogether. And while I'm on the subject, it occurred to me that the final scene with Gary would work so much better if he hadn't escaped Newton Haven with Andrew, Sam and Steven. If, say, those three had fled the basement of The World's End while Gary determinedly poured himself a pint from the fridge of the bar, Andrew's final voiceover would have carried more weight. Because 'we got separated' doesn't really cut it, frankly.

That said, with the WTF's of the plot out of the way, the script full of setups, callbacks and Easter-eggs really starts to shine, as do the performances of the cast. Knowing where the various characters will end up allows you to take your foot off the pedal and enjoy the ride, which is exactly what rewatches are for. I still can't quite bring myself to award the film full marks, but that may change in the future. I'll be very interested to watch this with the commentary track.

Thought #1: In terms of in-series callbacks, the fruit-machine in The King's Head*1 plays the same musical jingle as the one in The Winchester in Shaun of the Dead. I haven't clocked a similar Hot Fuzz reference yet, but if you've spotted it (because I know there'll be one), let me know in that there comments box, yeah?

Thought #2: The casting of Thomas Law and Zachary Bailess, as young Gary and Andrew respectively (and the actress who plays the young Sam*2) is rather marvellous. I'd have liked more speaking-lines for all of them, but still; well done, casting person whose name I also didn't think to read.

Thought #3: Wouldn't it have been nice if Shaun had featured a former James Bond? That would have been a great hallmark for the trilogy along with the other signatures, but from what I can ascertain that link doesn't exist for the first film. If you can prove me wrong, I'd welcome that.

I'm probably going to let tWE lie fallow for a week or two before another watch, but in the meanwhile I want to know what you think of it, and what Easter-eggs you've found. You can use the comments box below this post or the World Of Blackout Facebook page.

Second favourite line:
OLIVER: WTF, Gary? WTF?
GARY: What the fuck does WTF mean?!?

PETER staggers from a toilet cubicle and looks around at the after-fight carnage.

PETER: …what the fuck?
GARY: Oh, right.



Is the trailer representative of the film?
Yes.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
Yes.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
Yes.


Pay at the cinema, Rent on DVD or just wait for it to be on the telly?
For me? Cinema. For you? Your choice, really.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
No.


Will I watch it again?
Yes. Before it finishes its theatrical run.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
When the car's escaping Newton Haven and screeches to a halt. It's the second scream that comes from the car.


And because you won't be happy until I've given it a score...


And my question for YOU is…
What's the lengthiest pub-crawl you've completed in one session? Tell me the pubs for an extra point.
No, I want to know. Seriously. GO.



*1 I think it's The King's Head. It could be The Hole In The Wall. That's why I need this to come out on DVD/BLU as soon as possible.
*2 I forgot to scan the credits for her name, and the internet doesn't seem to know. Apologies, actress who plays young Sam.

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment