Monday 2 September 2013

Review: Get Lucky

World of Blackout Catch-up Review

Get Lucky Poster

Get Lucky
Cert: 15 / 85 mins / Dir. Sacha Bennett



Looks like it's been shot on a hi-res webcam; sounds like it's been ADRd in a toilet; acted like it's an unsolicited showreel handed to Guy Ritchie in a busy pub; scripted like it's a first draft by a 17yr old who watches too many geezer movies and lives in rural Berkshire. Borrows so heavily from it's wannabe-contemporaries that the only idea it remembers to have of its own is to be fucking awful.

On the plus side, they did get a film made, and it's short. That's it.

Loses a point for employing Mark Renton's dad and apparently keeping him pissed for the entire shoot.
Loses a point for having the audacity to use two boot-shots.

Absolute shite.



Is the trailer representative of the film?
The trailer looks like a semi-watchable Lock Stock rip-off. The film itself doesn't even reach those lofty heights.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
Well, I did crack a smile at the asthmatic prostitute.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
Not by a cockney mile.


Buy, pay to rent, or wait until it's on for free?
Never watch this. Ever.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
I will.


Will I watch it again?
I fucking hope not.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
Thankfully… thankfully, not.


And because you won't be happy until I've given it a score...


And my question for YOU is…
Why, though? Why?



DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a 'catch-up' review. I watched this film at home, not at the cinema. I saw the trailer for this at the cinema, and I would have seen the film there too, but they didn't/couldn't show it. So now iTunes, Amazon, Netflix and Blockbuster get to reap the rewards of my local's advance-advertising, and I'm sure they're delighted. Now you may say "oh come on, they can't show everything down there", and that would be a valid point if they didn't do things like running Taken 2 for six weeks. Was it that successful? No, I don't think so. Twilight? Batman? Les Mes? Sure, go for it; if they're pulling the punters in then keep making that money. But Taken 2? I ask you. Anyway, this is essentially a DVD review, but still of a new(ish) film. There. I'm glad that's sorted.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment