Thursday 30 October 2014

Review: Ghostbusters

World of Blackout Film Review

Ghostbusters (30th Anniversary) Poster

Ghostbusters (30th Anniversary Screening)
Cert: 12A / 100 mins / Dir. Ivan Reitman
WoB Rating: 7/7



Well, it's difficult to know what to really say about Ghostbusters. My last review (ie cinema vewing) of the film was only back in 2011, and I wrote (albeit briefly) about why the film is still great a couple of weeks ago. What can I tell you? I love Ghostbusters

I love Ghostbusters even though the '4K remastered' version still goes incredibly grainy in some of the shots. I love Ghostbusters even though the claymation looks like claymation, and in an early establishing shot of the stone-Zuul looking down on the New York street, you can see the yellow lines running through his 'opaque' fang (and again later on, when the spirit-orbs are escaping from the containment facility and swooping behind buildings). I love Ghostbusters even though poor old Winston Zeddemore seems to serve little purpose other than being introduced with sparse fanfare in the second act to add (a little) diversity to the colour-palette and to be the voice of pragmatism in the company of three eccentric scientists. I love Ghostbusters even though the mini-earthquake outside the apartment building is so unfounded and non-committal in its existence that it seems like a padding device before the screenplay begrudgingly propels its heroes to the climax which, riding on the coat-tails of the awesome Mr Stay Puft, is actually just a cop-out of 'fire the guns at the portal utilising the callback we set up in the ballroom scene earlier, and then the bad guy will just disappear'.

What? I love Ghostbusters.



Is the trailer representative of the film?
As a trailer for selling the film, not really. As a device for getting people back to the cinema, just maybe.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
I did. Again.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
Every time.


Pay at the cinema, Rent on DVD or just wait for it to be on the telly?
Cinema as and when you can, but this is a movie made to be watched at home with friends and drinks.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
Just a touch.


Will I watch it again?
I will. Again.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
Y'know what? I didn't hear one.


And if I HAD to put a number on it…


And my question for YOU is…
Is it just me that still doesn't quite get the geography of Dana's flat, what with the secret door and then the exterior shot once the walls have been blown off?
It is, isn't it?
Just me.



DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment