Tuesday 30 April 2013

Review: I'm So Excited! / Los Amantes Pasajeros

World of Blackout 77-Word Film Review

I'm So Excited! Poster

I'm So Excited! / Los Amantes Pasajeros
Cert: 15 / 90 mins / Dir. Pedro Almodóvar



Well, that was different. It's like someone had a dream about The High Life, translated it into Spanish and forgot to put any jokes in. Don't get me wrong, it's an intriguing character study, and is frequently smile-inducing, but not really enough to be called "a comedy". And I get the distinct impression that Banderas and Cruz are repaying a favour.

As suspected, the best part's definitely the musical number.


Is the trailer representative of the film?
Kinda.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
Sometimes.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
*shrugs*


Pay at the cinema, Rent on DVD or just wait for it to be on the telly?
Telly.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
No.


Will I watch it again?
Doubtful.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
No.


And because you won't be happy until I've given it a score...


And my question for YOU is…
When have you been pleasantly surprised by a foreign-language film? Do you find subtitles can damage the pacing in comedy, when so much of the performance is reliant on timing?

Let me know in the comments box, there's a love ;)



DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment